Think you can outperform the stock market by picking individual stocks???
Think you can outperform the stock market by picking individual stocks??? Think again!
This information is courtesy of a document published by Hendrik Bessembinder who works with the Department of Finance as well as W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. In this document Hendrik confirms that while the overall stock market outperforms Treasury bills, most individual common stocks do not.
Of the nearly 26,000 common stocks that have appeared on CRSP since 1926, less than half generated a positive holding period return, and only 42% have a holding period return higher than the one-month Treasury bill over the same time interval. The positive performance of the overall market is attributable to large returns generated by relatively few stocks.
When stated in terms of lifetime dollar wealth creation, one third of one percent (0.033%) of common stocks account for half of the overall stock market gains, and less than four percent (4%) of common stocks account for all of the stock market gains. The other ninety six percent (96%) of stocks collectively matched Treasury-Bill returns over their lifetimes.